Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Philadelphia

I was able to spend a day with my kids, mom, and sister in Philadelphia back in August. Dallin was able to take the kids for a day in October when he met up with his friends Matt and Abe (while I was at a "retreat" near Lake Seneca, NY with some other ladies from church). I hadn't ever really liked Philadelphia before, probably mostly because I didn't like their hockey team, but we all really enjoyed visiting. For a "big" city it still seems pretty small to me since I am used to LA and Phoenix where the suburbs just keep going and going. However, the downtown area is very packed. This is just a teaser for those of you who are still trying to make up your minds if you want to come visit us. There is so much to see!
Independence Hall was our first stop. Although it was huge for its time, its hard to imagine that the entire foundation for our government was created in one small room in this building. As much as I love other countries and their cultures, and as many troubles as we are having in this country, there is still nothing like the great United States of America and the freedoms, opportunities, and love of family and country that we enjoy.
Apparantly George Washington actually sat in this chair.
The Liberty Bell (with Independence Hall in the background).
The very first post office that is even older than our country! The arch is the passageway that Benjamin Franklin would drive his carriage through to get to his house.
Betsy Ross enjoying some sewing on a warm sunny day. Her house was sooooo small.
Somehow Kaia heard that there was a carousel in town so we had to go find it. Talmage thought the animals were great- until they started moving! I had to pick him up and hold him the rest of the ride.
This was a sand sculpture made of imported New Jersey beach. I guess they make one every year.
Dallin was able to get some great pictures around town (trust me, there were lots more).

4 comments:

Christine said...

Oooooo! Looks like fun! Another place to add to my visit list!

Linsey F said...

We would come in a heartbeat! Everything looks so beautiful! Kaia looks so grownup in the last picture!

karina said...

Those pictures bring back so many memories - I served my mission there! It is a great city.

Vance said...

I really like that last picture of Kaia...very cute. But where is the picture of Dallin by the Rocky statue???