Sunday, November 23, 2008

Santa Parade

Yes, from Halloween to Christmas. Don't ask me why Scranton has a Santa Claus parade before Thanksgiving; just add it to the list of all the things that make Scranton "unique". (You may laugh at "The Office" because you think the characters are nuts and "out there", but Dallin and I laugh at "The Office" because we know it's what people are really like back here!) I've always disliked how the stores jump from Halloween straight to Christmas and Thanksgiving gets the shaft. Should it really be that hard to find socks with turkeys on them this time of year? I mean, come on. Anyway, we thought it would be fun to take the kids yesterday to see the parade and Santa Claus. However, whose idea was it to hold this parade on THE coldest day of the year. It was honestly only 15 degrees out AND it was windy! (Have I mentioned I hate being cold?) We attempted to survive for quite a little while by hiding in a building alcove but the parade kept stopping for five minutes at a time and the kids couldn't last any longer. So we headed back to the truck but then Kaia started crying because she didn't get to see Santa Claus. Never fear, SuperDad figured out we could drive down an alley that led straight to the parade and we could watch it from the comfort of our heat-blasted truck! (Talmage had even more fun playing with the steering wheel and blinkers.) Sorry about the bad picture but Kaia was so excited that she stuck her hand out the window to wave to Santa just as I pushed the button. Then we came home and had hot chocolate and whipped cream. (I think I'm going to need to stock up. Anyone know where they sell 25# bags of the stuff?) Everyone was happy.

3 comments:

Linsey F said...

How fun for the kids though! Hey what kind of stroller is that? I am on the lookout for a double...do you like yours?

Katie T. said...

sounds like a lot of fun. THor served his mission in Scranton and says the same thing about the people there. But he sure did enjoy it!

Stephanie said...

What a good mom you are! I wouldn't have braved the cold even if I Had known about the parade. I'm kind of a whimp like that, though. I want to do another card night next weekend. Are you free?