Monday, October 20, 2008

Garden Goodness


I love to garden. I can't say that I know very much about it, but being able to see the fruits of ones labors is very rewarding. This is the first year we have actually planted an edible garden, but I am hooked. Our garden got started very late because we remodeled our yard, but we were still able to have a pretty good harvest. We just experimented and planted tomatoes, green bell peppers, yellow squash, basil, chive, and we even planted the bulb ends of our grocery store green onions and leeks. The squash and bell peppers were fantastic. I only discovered in the last couple of years that I absolutely love squash and since growing my own garden my vegetable horizon is steadily increasing (for those of you who might be astonished by the fact that I actually admit to liking something that isn't made purely out of sugar). We were afraid we might not be able to get any red tomatoes but we managed to get a couple dozen before it got too cold. Dallin just picked the remainder of what was in our garden two days ago and it's a good thing because today it is completely done for. Anybody have a good recipe for fried green tomatoes? I'm already excited about filling up our entire planter for next year's garden (now that I am a pro of course). Maybe we'll add some berries, zuchhini, lettuce, mushrooms......

2 comments:

Amy {The Idea Room} said...

MMMM! Looks like you guys did pretty well for first timers!

Stephanie said...

So I decided to check out your blog before I lost the silly peace of paper I wrote the address on. :) Yeah! Now we can keep in touch online AND in church. Hooray for blogs. Thanks again for coming over tonight. I had a great time. We'll have to do it again for sure!