Monday, May 4, 2009

Easter

Easter is absolutely my favorite holiday- the colors, fresh flowers, bunnies, pretty dresses, chocolate, new life, hope, breath of fresh air, warmth, ......... and Peeps- what's not to like? We didn't do a lot for Easter, but after church we did have an egg hunt and the kids had a good time. Growing up, my mom would always hide our baskets at the same time as the eggs and we had to find our own basket before we were able to pick up ANY eggs. I think it was her way of leveling the playing field for the big kids vs. the little kids, but I like the tradition and have stuck with it.

This year I also included a large, empty plastic egg in the baskets to help us remember the empty tomb. Since it was the first egg they were able to get their hands on (and it was the biggest) Kaia immediately opened it up, but was a little disappointed to find it empty. This was exactly what I wanted and I took the opportunity to ask her, "Why do you think the egg is empty?" Since I hadn't talked to her about it I didn't expect her to know, but she answered something like, "It's empty like the tomb." Wow. It's nice to know that she has such a great sunbeam teacher (thanks Christina!) AND that she is starting to listen. (Kaia is wearing a dress that my mom made for me.)

After that, the eggs were a free for all and they have been enjoying one a day since then.

2 comments:

Christine said...

That is a very nice tradition about the empty egg. And how sweet that she was able to understand the significance. Cute kids and I like that she is wearing one of your dresses. I love the nostalgia of it.

Amy {The Idea Room} said...

Happy bday Talmage. How are they so old? I love the cake. Good job. I love the dress too! How fun. I don't think I have any of my old dresses my mom made. Sad. That would be fun!