Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Little Baker


Kaia is my little baker. Practically ever since she could walk, she has insisted on being in the kitchen with me when I am baking or cooking. I'm not talking about her just wanting to be with me, I mean she has to be doing what I'm doing. Even when I try to start baking without her, as soon as that mixer turns on, she comes running. Of course, she learned early that the beaters are the best part of baking- even if I just make bread dough she has to have the beaters (that's OK 'cause I still get the bowl). If she could read I'm sure I could just send her in the kitchen and tell her to make some cookies and she'd do it. When we were making cut out cookies for Valentine's Day, I had to leave the room for some reason. When I got back, she had finished glazing the previous batch with milk and then rolled and cut out the next batch and was pulling away the excess and putting the cookies on the sheet! The most amazing part was she did a great job rolling it out even- I think only one or two of the cookies were slightly thin on the edge! I was quite humbled and significantly impressed by my three year old. Kaia loves every part of baking: the apron, standing on her stool, the measuring and pouring, the mixing, the licking, watching it cook in the oven, the beeper, the hot pads, and of course, the eating. Mmmmmm, sweet dessert! It looks like our family baking tradition is in good hands.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like you guys are having a great time! The kids are growing up so fast. I can't believe how good Kaia is at baking. Are her and Talmage similar in personality? How are they different. We miss you guys at the Farar get togethers. It sounds like it was quite the game of spoons :)
That trip to DC sounds amazing! It's one of my favorite places. Damond is applying to a school there and I would love for us to live there. There is just so much to see! We would love to come visit you guys (we just don't have enough money, but you know how that goes) If Damond has an interview anywhere near there, hopefully we'll be able to work it out :) Say hi to Dallin and the kids for us :)

Suzy Farar said...

That quality will be very helpful as she gets older. Daniel is really good to do stuff in the kitchen now to help out, it's great!

Linsey F said...

What a cutie! Start her young and you may never have to make dinner again!! Woo Hoo!

gisela said...

Yeah Kaia! You are doing what your mommy used to do when she was little. I love looking at the pictures of you and Talmage. It's fun to see you growing up.